Computer Programming/Coding Instructor
Greenbush - The Southeast Kansas Education Service Center is seeking applications for a Computer Programming/Coding Instructor at the Topeka Correctional Facility.
Anticipated start date: March 2, 2020. Position will remain open until filled. Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Summary: The Computer Programming/Coding Instructor will instruct students incarcerated at the Topeka Correctional Facility using The Last Mile computer coding program. The Computer Programming/ Coding Instructor ideal candidate will have excellent communication and collaboration skills which are necessary to help guide students individually and as a class through an intense curriculum designed to prepare students for successful post release employment. The Computer Programming/Coding Instructor must build a strong working relationship with students and other program stakeholders while maintaining fidelity to the curriculum through reflective instructional practices.
- Experience in adult education instruction or teaching
- Proficient in using computer basic computer applications and software for word processing, presentations, etc.
- Experience in layout, scripting, programming, of web applications using the latest web standards as well as database development including but not limited to: jQuery, Mongo, PostgreSQL
- Demonstrated coding experience, job related certifications or bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related field
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license.
- Immunization records up-to-date.
- Facilitate the personal and intellectual development of students.
- Assist students with developing good work and study habits.
- Establish a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of students.
- Communicate and collaborate with all program stakeholders
- Ensure that all activities conform to correctional facility and school guidelines. This includes management and inventory of computers, tools, equipment, toxics and caustics when applicable.
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with all members of the correctional facility, school and other education programs in the selection, assignment, and management of students.
- Direct the activities of inmate tutors/aides when assigned.
- Appropriately operate equipment as required.
- Support the value of correctional education.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the correctional facility and school.
- Utilize industry developed curriculum and student competency profiles for instructional area(s) being taught and develop a student management system for competency-based learning.
- Provide and manage learning activities (as much as possible) so they provide and represent skills performed in the occupation.
- Must support the Southeast Kansas Education Service Center (SEKESC) mission, goals, and objectives.
- Must demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must maintain strict confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in ability to produce excellent work as requested by the executive team.
- Must assume responsibility for individual professional growth by staying current with literature, research, and/or practices.
- Must complete all assignments in a time-sensitive manner as determined by Executive Director/Supervisor.
- Must meet all safety requirements as directed by the SEKESC.
- Complete all assignments in a time-sensitive manner as determined by Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or designee.
- Manage all job duties with mobility, agility, and dexterity.
- Requires long periods of sitting and standing.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Occasional travel required.
- Work in a noisy and crowded environment with numerous interruptions.
- Must work i environment that provides education to student who have been convicted of a felony crime by a Court of Law.
Excellent benefit package: Supporting employees and their families is important to Greenbush. We provide access to exceptional Health, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance options for all employees who work 20 hours or more a week. Additionally, Greenbush participates in the Kansas Public Retirement System (KPERS) and provides excellent 403B plan options. Greenbush contributes to each and every employees retirement plan by matching up to $90 a month for any Greenbush employee that contributes to one of the 403B plans. Employees also can participate in flex spending accounts and salary protection programs. All employees are provided with sick days, personal leave, and holidays subject to the length of their contract. Equal Opportunity Employer
In addition to the benefit package, Greenbush recognizes the importance of continued education throughout an employee’s career and offers the Greenbush Education Reimbursement Plan to support employees in their education endeavors. The plan provides an opportunity for any Greenbush employee working at least 1,004 hours per year to be reimbursed up to $1200 per contract year for tuition costs. Employees of Greenbush meeting the hour requirement can apply to participate in the program by completing the Tuition Reimbursement Application Form. In addition, Greenbush offers a Professional License Reimbursement Program, which provides full reimbursement for professional licenses with specific Kansas licensing authorities and other appropriate authorities (a complete list can be provided upon request).
For complete benefit package information, direct your questions to the individual listed under the Job Contact Information section.