Database Administrator III
The Information Technology Group of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has an exciting opportunity for a Database Administrator III. We are looking for a team member who would enjoy working for an organization that strives every day to support the public good and make a difference. Are you driven to utilize your analysis skills while delivering excellent service to build long-lasting rapport? If so, this is a perfect opportunity for you! Join us on our cloud journey!
This position is located in the NAIC’s offices in Town Pavilion in the heart of downtown Kansas City which includes great restaurants and top-notch entertainment venues. This is a full-time position in a positive and flexible environment.
Primary DBA Functions:
- Configures and maintains on-premises Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB systems.
- Configures and supports cloud database systems Oracle Cloud (OCI), Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL RDS, Aurora, and MongoDB Atlas.
- Performs Database maintenance (e.g., patching, upgrades, table/index reorganizations).
- Documents and performs database client installations/maintenance.
- Maintains database replication between servers.
- Creates and maintains backup routines using RMAN.
- Analyzes existing database systems and recommend improvements.
- Creates and/or maintains all databases required for development, testing and production.
- Supports the application development lifecycle.
- Creates and maintains database objects (e.g., tables, indexes, views, stored procedures, triggers).
- Completes request for change tickets in a timely fashion.
- Creates, manages, and follows up on all database support ticket.
- Works with Senior DBA staff on identifying and troubleshooting database issues (e.g., connectivity, performance, application errors, SQL errors).
- Works with the Security team to enforce security policies.
- Demonstrates proficient use and knowledge of standards and procedures.
- When appropriate, works with applications areas regarding database design, performance, availability, SQL, and other related issues.
DBA On-call Duties:
- Provides 24/7 on-call support on a rotational basis with provided on-call inbox. Must be available remotely or go into the office as needed.
- Monitors databases daily for alerts or messages while on-call.
- Supports Platform Services when performing maintenance.
- Supports routine maintenance of the databases during scheduled maintenance windows.
- Communicates maintenance items and database availability with Technical Services staff and users.
- Communicates all issues to DBA staff and management in a timely fashion. Creates Event Tickets when necessary.
DBA Maintenance Duties:
- Monitor’s storage and uptime for all databases (i.e., Annual Storage Report).
- Supports routine maintenance of databases in maintenance windows. Maintenance includes table re-organization, chained-row repair and other maintenance assigned by Senior DBAs.
- Works with other Platform Services staff in planning and supporting maintenance windows.
- Maintains schedule for backend jobs and communicates changes or conflicts to operations and management.
- Supports the Extract Transform Load (ETL) processes used by the enterprise. Support includes:
- Mapping design and troubleshooting.
- Workflow runtime and troubleshooting.
- ETL connectivity support.
- ETL Administrative support (e.g., Manage Folders, Manage Security).
- ETL Software Upgrades and Patches.
- Develops tasks needed to complete the projects. Reviews these plans with management.
- Completes documentation and cross training of DBA team on all new projects and procedures.
- Works with application development groups where appropriate in supporting these projects.
- Seeks input from the DBA staff when developing these projects.
- Works effectively with people; makes efforts to listen to internal and external customers and understand their needs. Gives high priority to customer satisfaction.
- Maintains effectiveness in varying environments, tasks, responsibilities, or people. Demonstrates willingness to adapt to change and try new things.
- Utilizes MS Word, Excel, or MS Project to develop project plans.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Tools.
- Linux knowledge.
- Experience with the following database technologies:
- Oracle Database Enterprise Edition 12c-19c
- Oracle Exadata
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- MongoDB Atlas
- PostgreSQL 9.6
- Conceptual understanding of the Oracle database architecture and how its components work and interact with one another.
- Ability to create an operational database and properly manage the various structures in an effective and efficient manner including performance monitoring, database security, user management, and backup/recovery techniques.
- Ability to create and troubleshoot SQL, PL/SQL, TSQL, Perl, python, and bash code.
- Experience with Informatica PowerCenter.
- Familiar with cloud concepts and infrastructure (AWS).
- Familiar with GIT version control
- Must be able to carry an on-call device and react to calls received on a rotation basis.
- Experience with database modeling and tools.
- Ability to work independently.
- Possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Possess excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrates strong initiative to improve skill set.
- Demonstrates ability to apply skills learned at training to tasks assigned.
- Demonstrates flexibility.
- Displays teamwork and a positive attitude.
Minimum Education and/or experience required:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university, or related experience; and five to seven years related database experience.
• Oracle 12c experience.
• AWS experience.
Why Work at the NAIC/NIPR?
• Flexible Work Environment
• 37.5 Hour Work Week
• Tuition Reimbursement
• Referral Bonuses
• Choice of Insurance Plans
• Vacation Buy Back
• Infants in the Work Place
• Adoption Assistance
• Parental Leave
• Employee Recognition Programs
• Days Off for Community Service
• Student Loan Repayment Program
• Fitness Center
For consideration, please apply online at:
The NAIC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants for all positions are considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.