Join Startland News for a collaborative work environment in which empathetic, honest, human-focused storytelling spotlights innovation and entrepreneurship in Kansas City. We’re looking for a full-time reporter eager to join our expanded, four-person news team and impact community through journalism.
An ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a passion and curiosity for entrepreneurship in Kansas City, as well as a knack for social media and face-to-face networking. A solid grasp of AP Style, news and feature writing, and multimedia is expected.
Startland News offers a casual, team-oriented culture that shares the values of community, impact and authenticity with its parent organization, Startland. We believe in fostering individual growth and providing members of our nonprofit newsroom with the freedom to develop ideas, express their creativity and meaningfully engage with readers and sources through quality storytelling.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience plus full benefits
Anticipated start date: Fall 2021
- 2+ years professional experience in news, media or reporting
- Passion for business and entrepreneurship reporting
- Willingness to embed in the Kansas City community
- Ability to juggle daily news reporting and social media engagement with long-term projects
- Social media savvy
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral communication and networking skills
- Expert grasp of AP style
- Must work from Startland News’ Kansas City-based newsroom in the Power & Light District
- Find and pitch stories
- Work with editors on story angles, headlines, images and SEO
- Write and upload online news stories daily under a strict deadline
- Interview and build rapport with sources in Kansas City
- Attend and report on events, press conferences, etc., occasionally after 5 p.m. and on weekends
- Work with newsroom leaders to conceive story ideas and investigative pieces in multiple formats
- Assist with Startland News events and programming
- Capture and edit photos and videos
Submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: resume, clips/portfolio (including any video or photography work), social media handles, and references.