Network and Telecommunications Director
Position Summary: The Office of Information Technology Services provides and manages the KANWIN network service for the State of Kansas. This service provides the local, metro, and wide area network needs for vital public servicing systems run by State of Kansas Agencies. The Office of Information Technology Services also provides the voice over IP phone and the wireless networking service supporting mission critical State of Kansas Agency systems. These services provide the State of Kansas Agencies with voice capability (including call center management) and wireless network capability across the State. The director will provide direct oversight of the architects and engineers supporting these services as delivered to the State of Kansas Agency customers in support of their business systems. This includes all 3rd party vendor oversight regarding voice and data networks. The director will provide short-term and long-term strategic direction for the services provided.
1. Must possess broad IT infrastructure knowledge and background that includes experience with enterprise class network solutions.
2. Must be a strategic thinker and able to create and communicate on a 3-5-year IT Network (both voice and data) roadmaps.
- Highly collaborative orientation, with great diplomacy, analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate with and work collaboratively with Agency technical teams as well as Agency leadership and business unit management when required.
- Must possess critical thinking skills, using logic and reasoning to identify strengths and weaknesses and can seek alternative solutions, conclusions and approaches to problems.
- Must be able to communicate technical topics to a non-technical audience and vice-versa, through presentations, reports, facilitations, etc.
- Ability to weigh issues in an unbiased manner while taking account both the strategic and tactical requirements of OITS and the customer Agency/Partner.
- Must be able to confront issues openly and quickly, yet tactfully.
- Must be energetic, flexible, collaborative, proactive, creative, highly organized and have a positive attitude.
Education and Experience: 10+ years’ experience in setting strategy and managing a team. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution is preferred. A successful track record of complex information technology experience is essential. A professional background including experience planning, designing, and managing an enterprise network support team is desired. A professional background including experience with large-scale LAN, MAN, and WAN operations is preferred. Ability to obtain and retain an OITS Security and KCJIS clearances are requirements of employment. Ability to obtain a valid Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance is required. Industry recognized network certifications are a plus (CCIE, CCNA, CCDP, etc.)
Necessary Special Requirements: Ability to obtain and retain an OITS Security Clearance is a requirement of employment and continued employment.
Disclaimer: Due to security requirements related to system access, the following will result in disqualification for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions less than 10 years, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor).