The Network Engineer position is responsible for inside plant engineering of Point of Presence (POP) and Collocation sites in addition to managing engineering projects, equipment configuration & provisioning, and Tier II technical support of Bluebird’s internal network and customer services. Network equipment includes, but is not limited to Nokia, Cisco, MRV, Accedian, and Ciena Routers & Switches, ADVA & Ekinops DWDM, Cisco SONET, ADTRAN Total Access, Ribbon Signaling Transfer Point, MetaSwitch Access Tandem, and Ceragon Microwave.
- Support the Engineering Director with project management & implementation, detailed network design, procurement of equipment and materials for Bluebird’s DWDM, IP/MPLS, SONET, and SS7 networks.
- Ensure proper documentation of Bluebird’s network to include CLR/DLR’s, Work Orders, Engineering Packages and Bluebird OSS databases.
- Provide engineering support for new customer installations to include procurement, provisioning, and coordination of test and turn-up scheduling.
- Provide support to Bluebird’s Business Development and Sales departments for the development of products and services.
- Provide 24/7 Tier II technical support via an on-call rotation for all major platforms. Participate in the isolation and resolution of problems associated with configuration, provisioning, or routing of traffic and services on the Bluebird network.
- Ensure accurate trouble ticketing timelines and notifications are documented for network anomalies as well as provide technical leadership in network outage situations.
- Provide support for the Bluebird access tandem to include switch engineering, translations, provisioning of trunk circuits, & SS7 Links. Coordinate switch activities with IXC’s and ensure proper documentation of FOC, DLR, and PTD.
- Provide technical support to planning and operation departments of ongoing network initiatives.
- Ensure that network traffic management and equipment configurations are maintained to ensure SLA performance criteria is met.
- Other related tasks associated with the administration of engineering initiatives as required.
This position is responsible for the engineering and Tier II technical support for Bluebird’s Optical, IP/MPLS, Access Tandem, SS7, and Microwave transmission networks. This position requires analytical thinking, conventional network practices and standards, a thorough understanding of the systems and components deployed, and the technical competence to support Tier I operations personnel with minimal added support.
This position requires a professional demeanor working closely with Bluebird employees, member companies, ILEC’s, third-party service providers, vendors, and valued customers.
This position requires close teamwork and a willingness to share skills, knowledge, and techniques when possible to enhance the capabilities of the entire team.
COMPETENCIES AND JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- 5 to 7 years in Telecommunications/IP-MPLS-Ethernet environment or equivalent Technical Training.
- Flexible work hours as required to include evening, night shifts, overtime, call-ins, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Valid state driver’s license.
- Self-motivated and the ability to make independent decisions based on policies, practices & project requirements.
- Strong knowledge of PC and software applications.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Strong technical aptitude for new protocols and technologies with the ability to provide technical support and direction.
- Customer focused with a desire to exceed expectations.
- Multi-task oriented while maintaining composure in a demanding work environment.
- Experience with equipment configuration programming.
- College/Technical School degree or equivalent work experience.
- Metro Ethernet Forum Carrier Ethernet 2.0 certification (MEF CE 2.0).
- Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) NRS-I / Cisco CCNA certification (or higher) of equivalent experience.
- Working knowledge of DWDM and SONET telecommunications transmission systems.
- Familiar with MetaSwitch or similar Class-4 tandem provisioning and translations.
- Familiar with Microwave RF Transmission Technology.
- Familiar with other conventional telecommunications equipment functions, applications, and configurations.
- Working knowledge of Internet Protocols version’s 4 & 6 and familiar with DDoS detection methods.