Volunteer with Goodwill Mokan | Community Digital Navigator
Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas has a rich, 125-year history. Everyone knows Goodwill for our thrift stores, but few know what Goodwill is really all about. The sale of donated items provides funds that stays local, supporting thousands of jobseekers with barriers to employment. We believe in the Power of Work and are committed to helping people earn and keep jobs in this community. That is why 88¢ of every dollar Goodwill spends goes directly into our mission, not into shareholders’ pockets.
Goodwill empowers people to discover their potential and adapt for the future through the power of work.
Digital Navigator volunteers will assist the Goodwill Mission Services team in maximizing community access to- and -use of information and communications technology, and in providing basic digital skills training – in support of our mission to achieve Digital Equity.
Volunteers will provide remote and/or socially distant in-person guidance to program participants to help them learn to use critical online services that provide guidance with food support, rent, education, employment, childcare, government benefits and more.
Once trained, a Digital Navigator volunteer will be able to assess a community member’s need, and competently guide them towards resources that are suitable both for their skill level and lifestyle. Additionally, volunteers will be cross trained to offer digital skills training to the program participants at Goodwill.
- Learn about low-cost/free internet connectivity resources and programs that are available
- Learn about low-cost/free devices that are available locally
- Meet with program participants and collect general information about their digital needs
- Provide program participants with information, support and referrals to local programs and resources assisting with internet connectivity and access to devices
- Conduct basic digital skills training to program participants to learn about: how to use a computer, how to use the internet, how to email and how to create an email account, how to apply for jobs online, how to create/update a resume using Microsoft Word
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to search for community resources (online, via phone calls, or in-person) Digital Navigator Volunteer Role
- Intermediate proficiency with digital knowledge of: Windows 10, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, and Google Chrome
This volunteer role can be performed either in-person at the Goodwill Mission Support Center or virtually. If performed virtually, the volunteer will need to have their own access to the proper computer or laptop device, a high-speed internet connection, and phone.
A minimum cumulative 20-hour commitment in a three-month period is required for this volunteer role. We ask that volunteers provide a list of available days and times as the needs of the Goodwill Mission Services team will vary from week-to-week. Scheduling is flexible; shifts can be completed during the weekdays (in-person); or during the evenings and weekends (virtually).
Volunteer opportunities will be assigned, as mutually agreed upon, according to the capacity needs of Goodwill and the availability of the Volunteer.
A virtual or in-person interview will be required prior to starting this volunteer opportunity.
Training and Orientation
Training and Orientation will be provided virtually or in-person. This Volunteer Position Description is for an opportunity with Goodwill of Western Missouri and Eastern Kansas. This is a volunteer position only. More information on our volunteer program and volunteer policies may be found at www.mokangoodwill.org and by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.